A century of caring of childrenFrom our 19th century origins at the Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Children and at Prince Henry’s Hospital in Melbourne, children have been at the centre of our service.
In 1940-50, the Queen Victoria Hospital (1896-1987) became the first hospital in Victoria to introduce more liberal visiting hours for parents.
This was due to the fact that the paediatricians, among them Dame Kate Campbell, believed that the inclusion of the family structure was an important factor in a child’s recovery.
The Homeopathic Hospital (1869-1934) later known as Prince Henry’s Hospital (1934-1992) in Melbourne opened a children’s ward in 1910 until its closure following a major rationalisation of paediatric services across Victoria in 1978.
Paediatrics services were offered at Monash Medical Centre from its outset in 1987 following the relocation of the Queen Victoria Medical Centre and Prince Henry’s Hospital to Clayton Road.
A children’s ward was established at Dandenong Hospital in 1955 and at the Southern Health’s newest hospital Casey Hospital in 2004.